Senior Route Master
- Post Date:23rd April 2019
- Views 1256
- Rank MasterVessel Type FerriesOffered Salary £50,000 or more
- Salary circa £67k
Senior Route Master Vacancy
Wightlink is one of the UK’s largest domestic ferry operators providing a link between the Isle of Wight and the Hampshire mainland.
Following the recent launch of our new 90m Hybrid Ship, The Victoria of Wight, comes the opportunity for a new Senior Route Master to join our team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic experienced seafarer to help the development and progression of the Isle of Wight’s largest ferry service on one of the UK’s busiest waterways.
A flexible shift pattern will allow the successful applicant the opportunity to maintain their seagoing careers but also reap the benefits of a shore based home/work life balance.
The role of Senior Route Master is to act as the key facilitator of effective communications between Ship Management and Shore based Managers and teams on their assigned route. Reporting to the Operations Director, whilst continuing to undertake the role of Master on a part time basis, he/she will ensure crew operational compliance and service levels across their route and will facilitate collective understanding of commercial, technical and safety issues and their impact on working practices. The post holder will:
- Provide an effective interface between crews to ensure compliance with operating standards and consistency in delivery
- Drive punctuality performance for their route and share good practice with the other Senior Route Masters
- Disseminate key information to crews, ensuring collective understanding of issues and that communications are robust and regular
- Work with the other Senior Route Masters to ensure consistency across Wightlink’s Fleet and lead on required process changes
- Facilitate joint problem solving between Ship and Shore teams to ensure consistent and excellent levels of customer experience across the route and partner the Shore Leads to deliver a seamless customer experience
- Act as the route marine technical expert and embed any legislation changes impacting Wightlink
- Work with the Resource Planning Department to review rosters and establish the most efficient ways of working
- Agree contingency plans for their route
- Act as a coach to Masters on their route, ensure that colleagues are dealt with in a fair, consistent and timely manner and to conduct monthly 1-2-1s with all Masters on their route
- Contribute to the selection, induction, training and assessment of ship based colleagues and support absence and capability processes
- Support Master and Chief Officer succession planning for the next 5 years
- Provide timely feedback to the Operations Director to ensure their understanding of employee morale, general concerns and levels of employee engagement
- Chair the Ships’ Safety Committee meetings
- Undertake Deputy DPA responsibilities
- Represent the Master community at Wightlink meetings
- Attend the weekly Operations Team meeting in line with roster availability.
The successful candidate will receive:
- An annual bonus (subject to performance)
- Private Medical Insurance
- A competitive Company Pension
- Concessionary travel benefits
- A vast range of retail benefits
A salary circa £67K is on offer to the successful candidate who will asked to work a minimum 35-40 hour week.
Applications should be submitted in writing by 31 May 2019. Please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company is an Equal Opportunities employer and the successful candidate will be selected on the basis of merit and aptitude.