- Post Date:9th July 2020
- Views 682
- Rank ManagerVessel Type Shore-basedLocation Type Shore
- Salary £42k-£57k plus gratuity, flights and relocation
The Operations Manager for the Falkland Islands Government provides an efficient Fishery Protection Service by leading the team responsible for effective monitoring, control and surveillance of the Falkland Islands Conservation zone and other associated fishing activities with the unique opportunity to live and work overseas in a beautiful and vibrant island community.
You will liaise with the Falkland Islands Maritime Authority and provide management and leadership to the Fisheries Protection team to ensure strategic development and effective fisheries and maritime protection to achieve positive outcomes that underpin the long term sustainable success of the Islands’ Fisheries. You will establish enforcement routines which target high risk areas for marine environmental and fisheries legislation by co-ordinating and managing intelligence based patrolling in order to deploy the Fishery Protection Vessel (FPV) and aircraft to ensure optimum surveillance and compliance with legislation, licencing conditions & conservation measures of the fishing fleets in Falkland Island’s waters.
We are seeking to recruit a person who:
- Holds a BSc in Marine Science, Oceanography, Fisheries Management or another relevant subject, or 10 years’ relevant work experience in an equivalent senior role and holds a marine qualification such as Marine Certificate of Competency or Skipper (Full) Fishing Certificate.
- Has gained at least 10 years’ past experience in Fishery Protection activities or at least 10 years’ experience of managing personnel in a similar field.
- Has a high level of experience in fisheries/marine enforcement and a comprehensive understanding of fisheries and other marine legislation.
- Had the ability to lead, motivate and co-ordinate a team of Fishery Officers, who often have to operate alone & isolated at sea.
- Can work in a reactive environment with experience of leading a small boarding team to take charge of an inspection on board a ship.
- Has experience in suspected fisheries offences & preparation of prosecution files, or analogous law enforcement experience.
- Is physically fit and capable of climbing pilot ladders in a harsh environment on the high seas. Must be able to pass ENG1 Medical check.
N.B. Applicants without the qualifications listed above may be considered if they satisfy other requirements to a high level, or have had previous experience within fishery protection or law enforcement or other relevant experience appropriate to the post.
- Initial 2-4 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £41k up to £56k per annum commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and further information from our online vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk.
For further information regarding the position please contact Andrea Clausen by emailing AClausen@naturalresources.gov.fk or by calling (+500) 27260.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on ‘Apply Now’ and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Applications close 31 July 2020 at 2030 GMT.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.