Navigation Adviser - Panama Canal
- Post Date:21st February 2019
- Views 766
- Salary Up to £4000 per month
Navigation Adviser – Panama Canal
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Job Type: Temporary 16 week contract
Salary: £4,000 per month.
We are looking for someone able to provide navigational experience for the publication of a new Passage Planning Guide for the Panama Canal and its Approaches. The Adviser will work within the Navigation Publications Team, producing written text guidance for the transit of the Panama Canal based on the latest regulations, as well as personal experience. The Adviser will be provided with a template document, with some standard text and research material to get started but will be required to fill in the gaps and improve text wherever possible.
The Adviser will also perform a vital Quality Control task by assisting our GIS team to make an Atlas of ‘Nautical Chart Diagrams’ derived from ENCs. The GIS team will create chart diagrams of the routes through the Panama Canal and annotate them with features in the company style. The Adviser will then check every detail of both text and graphics for relevance and accuracy and then attempt to add valuable advice wherever possible.
As much preparation work and supporting documentation will be provided as possible, but the Adviser will have the ability to perform original research, as would be the case when doing detailed passage planning. Working unsupervised, the Adviser will identify information that will be of practical use to Navigators transiting the Panama Canal and be able to write clear and simple instructions that any mariner can understand.
The Adviser must be used to creating highly detailed passage plans, and have the level of attention to detail required to produce the best guidance available for navigators.
- Merchant Navy Deck Officer, Second Officer or higher rank
- Extensive, frequent and recent experience of Navigating the Panama Canal
- Panamax and Neo-Panamax Containership experience
- Ability to relocate or commute to Livingston, Scotland for duration
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Word is essential
- Ability to co-operate with the publishing team
Essential Skills at high level of proficiency
- Fully familiar with Sailing Directions, Tidal publications, Climate Data and Navigation Charts
- Ability to interpret ENCs
- Ability to research Maritime Regulations; online and in Nautical Publications
- Familiar with Panama Canal Authority (ACP) Regulations and Procedures
- Familiar with the latest Immigration Clearance procedures when transiting Panama Canal
- Familiar with the use of Tugs at the new locks in Panama Canal
- Familiar with Marine Accident Reports in the Panama Canal and approaches
- Familiar with Pilotage Requirements in the Panama Canal
- Familiar with Navigational Restrictions in the Panama Canal
- Knowledge of the principles of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for map making
- Ability to read and speak Spanish might be advantageous
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat Pro, particularly the ‘Comment’ Function for marking text
Contact name: Simon Grant
Contact email: email@example.com
Contact phone number: +44 2380 208765