Nautical Lecturer Maritime Simulation
- Post Date:12th February 2019
- Views 570
- Rank LecturerLocation Type ShoreOffered Salary £40,000-£49,999
- Salary £45000 - £48000 per annum + Excellent Pension + Relocation Allowance
Nautical Lecturer Maritime Simulation
Following an investment of £43m this outstanding world renowned institution will become one the global leaders in Maritime training, with unmatched facilities for Engineering, Deck and Electro-Technical professionals across the entirety of the Maritime industry.
You will be working in a state of the art simulator suite which houses;
- 6 full-mission navigational bridge
- Full-mission engine simulator and HV training
- GMDSS radio communications training
- 4 multi-purpose desktop simulation classrooms
- 2 ECDIS suites
- Full-mission dynamic positioning simulator, plus 6 DP stations
We are looking to build an outstanding high quality team with a true passion for developing the next generation of industry professionals and lead the industry in setting the principles and standards for the future.
To design, develop and teach courses as required by the University and to contribute to the achievement of the School and the University’s plans and objectives. To operate Simulator, run simulator base course for Navigation, LICOS, Engineer / HV Gas and other as directed by line manager.
Teaching and Learning Support
- Teach on relevant courses across a range of units/subject areas as required by the University and directed by the designated manager, using appropriate teaching learning support and assessment methods.
- Deliver lectures and lead seminar groups as appropriate
- Participate in the examination/assessment process including the setting of papers, preparing marking schemes, agreeing marks with other staff and attending external examiners meetings
- Contribute to the validation and accreditation of courses and quality assurance as appropriate
- Develop and design appropriate teaching and learning materials
- Provide advice and guidance to students in relation to their studies
- Provide timely, constructive, formative and comprehensive feedback to students using all forms of communication.
- Champion the student experience through the adoption/promotion of best practice in Teaching and Learning and student support
Research and Knowledge Exchange
- Refresh own subject knowledge and understanding to inform teaching materials, methods and delivery
- Engage in research and enterprise activities, entrepreneurship and diversified income streams as part of the University’s Strategic Plan
- Attend meetings and course committees as required
- Attend open days and assist with other course marketing activities as required
- Occasional requirement to work unsocial hours
- Some UK and international travel or occasional unsocial hours work may be required
- Supervise student projects, field trips and, where appropriate, placements
- Demonstrate the University’s values of respect, ownership, integrity, engagement, inclusivity and teamwork.
- To undertake other duties as commensurate with the role
- Minimum STCW class II Certification of Competency (Master or Chief Mate)
- Relevant sea going and industry related experience on Commercial Ships to a Management level.
- As part of ongoing career development, willingness to undertake relevant professional development and PhD
- Demonstrate ability to teach students from diverse study backgrounds and adjust teaching methods to fully support the student experience
- Ability to operate Marine Simulator and ability to develop creative solutions using electronic or IT resources
- VTS Certification
- Experience as a Harbour Master
- Pilotage Licence
- Recognised qualification to teach in higher education and/or Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Evidence of academic and professional expertise in the relevant subject area
- Knowledge of student-centred teaching and learning methodologies
- Teaching experience at FE/undergraduate level
- Course development experience
- A competitive industry salary
- Excellent holiday entitlement plus bank holidays and Christmas closure
- Employee wellbeing and benefits scheme
- Relocation Allowance
- Ongoing personal development
Contact name: Rory Edwards
Contact email: Rory.Edwards@faststream.com
Contact phone number: 02380208723