Marine Surveyor 'S' Level Policy Lead (Survey Ops)
- Post Date:14th June 2019
- Views 889
- Salary £44,105 - £50,719
Marine Surveyor ‘S’ Level Policy Lead (Survey Ops)
£44,105 – £50,719
Do you have experience in a managerial technical role on board ship or in a managerial technical capacity of responsibility within the maritime industry?
Would you like opportunity to put your knowledge and expertise to good use to help to meet the Government’s maritime strategy for ‘Safer Ships and Cleaner Seas’ by ensuring high standards of marine safety and marine environmental protection through the development, implementation and monitoring of a consistent policy for survey operations on United Kingdom flag vessels?
If so, we are looking for a Survey Operations Policy Lead to join us at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), and we’d love to hear from you.
As our Survey Operations Policy Lead, we will look to you to assist the Head of Survey Operations in the development, promotion, implementation and monitoring of a consistent policy for survey operations. You will provide policy support for Marine Office Surveyors, Clients, MAIB and Classification Societies.
As our Survey Operations Policy Lead, some of your responsibilities will include:
• Act as a point of contact for internal and external customers by giving advice and decisions on survey policy – dealing with various stakeholders such as marine surveyors, industry, public, classification societies and other flag and port State administrations;
• Maintain operational liaison with Marine Offices, other HQ Branches and Technical services Team (TST) within Directorate of Maritime Safety and Standards (DMSS) and provide policy support for Marine Office Surveyors as and when required;
• Assist in the arrangements for surveys of UK ships, including appointments of surveyors in accordance with the Merchant Shipping Act 1995;
• Represent the UK and provide technical support at internal and external (e.g. MCA, DfT, IMO, EU, MAIB, Industry, Public etc) meetings associated within areas of responsibility, including drafting and presentation of substantive technical papers and contributing to correspondence groups. Arrange and provide briefing as required for both internal and external fora;
• Liaise with UKSR and newbuild operators, operators of vessels to be flagged in; focal point for Customer Service Managers and lead surveyors as necessary;
For this role, it is essential that you hold one of the following qualifications:
• Nautical Surveyor: MCA Recognised STCW II/2 Master unlimited Certificate of Competency; or
• Engineer Surveyor: MCA Recognised STCW III/2 Chief Engineer unlimited Certificate of Competency; or
• Naval Architect Surveyor: A degree accredited by RINA/SNAME as meeting the academic qualification requirements for Chartered Engineer.
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, your application will still be considered if you are a Chartered Engineer (CEng) (through Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) or the Institute of Marine Engineers (IMarEST)
Additionally, your above qualifications must be supported by sufficient experience in a managerial role on board ship or in a technical capacity of responsibility within the maritime industry.
Experience of application of MCA Marine Office survey policies and guidance is required for this post, which would typically require at least 2 years practice as an SEO Marine Surveyor to gain the breadth of experience and competencies. If not already held, equivalent experience would be required to be gained in an MCA marine office following recruitment but prior starting operational work within the Branch.
Excellent communication skills are pivotal to this role with the ability to provide guidance and robust recommendations to colleagues and internal stakeholders, where your exceptional engagement and relationship building skills will enable you to communicate and influence at all levels.
You are someone who is passionate about delivering great service, being helpful and responsive in all circumstances.
This role will require you to deliver training to audiences of all sizes and so it is essential that you are confident and comfortable presenting to groups.
Closing date: 12 July 2019
Related Jobs (5)
Oceanographer: Senior Scientific Officer (SSO) on 9th April 2021
Geophysics & Coastal Processes: Senior Scientific Officer (SSO) on 9th April 2021 Permanent
Senior Qualified Deck Officer (Chief Mate or Master) on 8th April 2021 Permanent
Senior Qualified Marine Engineer Officer (Seconds or Chiefs) on 8th April 2021 Permanent
Qualified Systems Engineering Officer (ETO Qualified) on 8th April 2021 Permanent