Harbour Master & Pilot (Ayr & Troon)
- Post Date:12th November 2018
- Views 683
- Rank MasterLocation Type Shortsea
Here at Associated British Ports we are currently recruiting for a Harbour Master & Pilot at our short sea ports of Ayr and Troon, with the position being based in Ayr.
Situated on the West Coast of Scotland at the entrance to the Firth of Clyde, the Port of Ayr has easy access to rail networks and via trunk roads. A variety of cargo is imported through the port including dry bulks, forest products and general cargo, with around 360,000 tonnes of cargo passing through the port each year. The Harbour Master & Pilot position will also cover the port of Troon.
The scope of the position is two fold. The first is the provision of the functions of the Statutory and Competent Harbour Authority for the Ports of Ayr & Troon. This includes all port compliance, security standards, HSE, hydrography, and contingency for the Ports, along with financial performance. The second is to provide piloting duties and safe navigation of vessels within the jurisdiction of Ayr and Troon.
Applicants should hold a valid STCW Master Mariners qualification and possess relevant ship handling experience, in return we offer a challenging and rewarding career.
We reward our employees and offer a competitive remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Act in the capacity of Harbour Master in accordance within the terms of the appropriate regulating legislation.
- Oversee the standards of a safe and efficient pilotage service for all vessels requiring or directed to take a pilot within the port areas of jurisdiction, including the authorisation of pilots and PEC holders on behalf of the Harbour Authority.
- Lead conservation projects with the assistance of the Compliance Teams in oil spill response, disaster recovery and any other plans with an environmental impact.
- Monitor and manage the implementation of the Port of Ayr & Troon Marine Safety Management System in accordance with the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code.
- Promote and maintain excellent relations with all harbour users and stakeholders. Provide marine advice when required.
- Advise the Port Manager on matters of Compliance, H&S & Security by keeping abreast of changes in legislation & codes of practice which may impact on ABP.
- Liaise with Group Safety Manager, Group Security Manager, enforcing authorities, trade organisations, insurances etc. Assist and guide DPFSO.
- Assist and develop group Compliance policies and internal group auditing. Implement any changes within the Port of Ayr & Troon.
- Responsible for dredging licenses and permissions for work including verifying quality of hydrographic surveys within the port, ensuring that they meet all compliance regulations both locally and nationally.
- Conduct pilotage duties by providing the safe movement of vessels from sea, berth and anchorage in accordance with appropriate procedures. Provide pilotage cover at Silloth on a temporary basis as required.
- Produces outstanding results both professionally and personally by directing and overseeing marine services in accordance with strategic objectives. Effectively plans, budgets, tracks, evaluates and drives business performance.
- Manage ABP’s security arrangements on a day to day basis, ensuring ISPS compliance is retained in line with the port security plan.
- Advise local port management on marine best practice, benchmarking and performance, including the preparation of relevant KPIs and formal monthly reports.
- Assist the Port Manager in developing and coordinating community relations initiatives ensuring they are aligned to core objectives and their value is maximised.
Skills, experiences and qualifications
- Master Mariner 11/2 (Unlimited)
- Previous marine management experience
- Ability to deliver the ethos of exceptional customer service and always seeking to improve quality and service for both internal / external stakeholders.
- Leadership qualities to drive the current team forward and develop them within their own areas, combined with previous people and team management skills.
- Demonstrate clear abilities to influence people at all levels, internal and external, through listening and adjusting communication style to meet the needs of the audience.
- Sound knowledge of maritime legislation
- Relevant Port experience in general operations.
- Port Surveying and dredging experience together with the use of Hydrographic and Digital Ground Modelling.
- Willingness to travel to other ABP port locations and business travel UK wide and overseas.
- Full UK car driving licence.
- UK Harbour Master Certificate or ability to study and undertake the learning.
- Experienced in working with marine data sets, computing systems or similar.
- Good experience in the use of Multibeam sonar data gathering and QC processes.