Harbour Master - Falklands
- Post Date:2nd December 2020
- Views 465
Are you an experienced Master Mariner with a passion for harbour operations? Could you lead an efficient maritime service to uphold regulations and ensure that Falkland Islands maritime safety and security is maintained? Do you hold a Master’s Certificate of Competency (STCW Reg II/2.1) with experience in a variety of marine operations? Do you like the idea of working in one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing landscapes, friendly communities and incredible wildlife while being part of preserving that heritage?
If you have answered yes to these questions, then you could be the new Harbour Master the Falkland Islands is looking for.
The Falkland Islands Harbour Master is a statutory function responsible for all harbour and port operations, ensuring that the strategic and vital gateways to the Falkland Islands are always maintained. This role requires engagement at all levels from cross governmental to public. Responsibilities include managing all harbour related interests, maritime safety, hydrography, navigational aids, accident investigation, pilotage services, compliance with international conventions and legislation and the provision of an effective maritime search and rescue function.
The role also includes the position of Registrar of British Ships, regulatory compliance, stakeholder engagement, leading on marine incidents, maintenance of the National Oil Spill Contingency Plan (NOSCP) and providing operational oversight of the maritime security contract.
- Holds a Master’s Certificate of Competency (STCW Reg II/2.1) with experience in a variety of marine operations and a current car driver’s licence.
- Has a comprehensive understanding of the Port Marine Safety Code with at least 5 years’ relevant experience in a variety of marine operations including experience as a Master / Senior Deck Officer on foreign going vessels.
- Has extensive knowledge of UK maritime regulatory framework as applied to Red Ensign vessels
- Is experienced in project management, financial resourcing, port operations, marine pollution control, pilotage, port development and fisheries protection.
- Should be able to lead small teams, motivate staff and have the ability to work successfully in a complex political and stakeholder environment.
- Fixed Term Contract up to 4 years.
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £42,457k up to £57,426k commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
For further information regarding the position please contact Daniel Wood on email email@example.com
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on ‘Apply Now’ and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Applications close 18 December 2020 at 2030 GMT.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
Related Jobs (4)
Senior Qualified Deck Officer (Chief Mate or Master) on 8th April 2021 Permanent
Senior Qualified Marine Engineer Officer (Seconds or Chiefs) on 8th April 2021 Permanent
Qualified Systems Engineering Officer (ETO Qualified) on 8th April 2021 Permanent