Fisheries Protection Officer - Falklands
- Post Date:8th February 2021
- Views 212
The Falkland Islands Government, department of Natural Resources (Fisheries) is seeking applications for the role of Fisheries Protection Officer. This is a unique opportunity to live in a small community with amazing wildlife with a 5-minute commute to work!
With direction from the Operations Manager, this role includes a 2-week period at sea (on a rota system with other FPO’s) on the Fisheries Protection vessel and this will involve boarding fishing vessels within the Falkland Islands fishing zones.
The FPO’s will monitor compliance with relevant Fishery and Marine laws including investigating and preparing prosecution cases as required to uphold the law for the Falkland Islands, CCAMLR and SGSSI, as required.
While ashore, the FPO will undertake a variety of office duties which will include the operation of the FI vessel monitoring system and a 24 hour on-call in the event of an emergency.
Will have a Marine Certificate of Competency or Skipper (Full) Fishing Certificate and/or BSC in Marine Science, Oceanography or Fisheries Management. Applicants without these qualifications may be considered if they satisfy other requirements to a high level or have had previous experience within fishery protection or law enforcement or other relevant experience appropriate to the post. A manual car driving licence is essential.
Communicating with individuals on overseas fishing vessel where English isn’t the first language can be challenging, so it’s important that individuals have a patient, assertive and calm manner.
- Fixed Term Contract up to 4 years.
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £31,577k up to £41,776k commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Allowances, a daily sea-going allowance and on-call allowance
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on ‘Apply Now’ and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Applications close 26 February 2021 at 2030 GMT.
Related Jobs (2)
Deck, Engine Room & Catering Ratings – Paddle Steamer Waverley on 10th May 2021 Permanent