Deputy Technical Editor
- Post Date:11th April 2019
- Views 499
- Rank TechnicalVessel Type Shore-basedLocation Type Shore
JOB TITLE Deputy Technical Editor
REPORTING TO Head of Technical Publications
DIRECT REPORTS None
ChartCo is headquartered in London and operates globally. We provide digital solutions to the maritime industry. From our position as the world’s largest supplier of navigational charts and publications ChartCo is pivoting to become the industry leader in digital navigation and compliance with our game-changing OneOcean platform.
Our market-leading solutions help clients improve the cost-efficiency of ship operations, the situational awareness of their crews, managers and owners and assist them with ever-growing compliance requirements.
Our Regs4ships product is the only regulations management solution to today’s highly complex regulatory environment. It ensures that every location and vessel has intelligent access to the latest rules and regulations and alerts our customers to new and amended regulations as they come into force.
We have grown our Regs4ships business significantly in the last year and are looking for a new Deputy Technical Editor to join the technical Regs4ships team based in our Southampton office.
To provide assistance to the Head of Technical Publications to ensure that the Technical Publications – Regs4ships products are kept fully up to date and to answer technical enquiries.
- Responsible to the Head of Technical Publications to ensure the quality, accuracy and development of Technical Publications – Regs4ships, including
- Research, manage and maintain existing Technical Publications’ product content to ensure it is up to date with national and international maritime legislation
- Research and project manage the development of new Technical Publications’ products and content, gaining approvals and the maintenance of agreements/letters of equivalence
- Shared supervision of the Technical Author(s)/Data Entry Technician(s) in the maintenance of the Technical Publications’ products, oversee/manage subordinate staff as required
- Involvement in stakeholder discussions around the management, development and implementation of new and existing Technical Publications’ products
- Provide support to colleagues and customers with regard to product websites and technical enquiries
- Undertake quality assurance of harvested product media
- Any other related tasks deemed necessary by line management
- The job holder will be expected to comply with any reasonable operational instruction or procedures relating to Company policies, reporting and controls. In particular Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 provides a duty on every employee, while at work, to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- It also places a duty on employees to cooperate with their employer so far as is necessary to enable their duties to be complied with including the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Failure to comply with this duty may result in the Company invoking the disciplinary procedure.
- Applicants will have a professional sea-going maritime background, or other relevant experience.
- Strong I.T. skills.
- Applicants will need to show a good understanding of the regulatory regime for ships, large yachts and ports around the world (e.g. IMO Conventions, Flag State regulations, shipping notices), or the ability to rapidly familiarise themselves with it.
- The successful applicant will help manage and maintain our content management system database of shipping legislation to ensure it is complete and up to date. Undertaking the development of current and future technical products and services, increasing market share.
- Knowledge of the maritime regulatory regime for ships, large yachts and ports around the world
- Awareness of web development, content management systems and basic HTML, or the ability to develop own knowledge through internal training
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to supervise team members and manage quality of their output
- Experienced in client liaison and customer support
- Comfortable with following protocols and procedures
- Project management own and others output
- Able to pay extremely close attention to detail, specifically when auditing accuracy of own work
- Able to plan and prioritise own workload and manage team members’ workload effectively
- Able to work as part of a team, but also able to work independently when required
- IT literate with commonly used office IT systems, particularly MS Office packages
- Able to follow company Health and Safety and quality management guidelines in the workplace
- Professional sea-going maritime background, or other relevant experience (such as relevant maritime related degree and relevant shore-based experience).