Deputy Harbour Master
- Post Date:24th August 2021
- Views 239
- Rank MasterVessel Type Shore-basedLocation Type Shore
- Offered Salary £30,000-£39,999Salary £37,725 up to £43,498 (with incremental increases beyond this)
Are you an experienced Chief Officer with a passion for harbour operations? Could you support an efficient maritime service to uphold regulations and ensure that Falkland Islands maritime safety and security is maintained? Do you hold a Chief Mate’s Certificate of Competency (STCW Reg II/2.1) with experience in a variety of marine operations? Do you like the idea of working in one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing landscapes, friendly communities and incredible wildlife while being part of preserving that heritage?
If you have answered yes to these questions, then you could be the new Deputy Harbour Master the Falkland Islands is looking for.
The Falkland Islands Deputy Harbour Master is a statutory function responsible to the Harbour Master for harbour and port operations, ensuring that the strategic and vital gateways to the Falkland Islands are always maintained. This role requires engagement at all levels across government as well as liaison with industry. Responsibilities include managing all harbour related interests, maritime safety, hydrography, navigational aids, accident investigation, pilotage services, compliance with international conventions and legislation and the provision of an effective maritime search and rescue function.
- Holds a Chief Mate’s Certificate of Competency (STCW Reg II/2.1) with experience in a variety of marine operations and a current car driver’s licence.
- Understands the Port Marine Safety Code with at least 5 years’ relevant experience in a variety of marine operations including experience as a Chief Officer / Deck Officer on foreign going vessels.
- Has knowledge of UK maritime regulatory framework as applied to Red Ensign vessels
- Is experienced in project management, financial resourcing, port operations, marine pollution control, pilotage, port development and fisheries protection.
- Should be able to lead small teams, motivate staff and can work successfully in a complex political and stakeholder environment.
- Must have the ability to act as an on-scene commander in oil spills and other maritime emergencies
Fixed Term Contract up to 4 years.
Salary Range, basic starting salary £37,725 up to £43,498 (with incremental increases beyond this)
Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
Favourable income tax rates.
A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
If you recognise yourself in this description, have a sense of adventure and a true desire to make a difference, this is the job for you! For more information and to apply online, please visit our recruitment website: www.jobs.gov.fk.
To discuss the post in more detail you can contact the Harbour Master, Jo Cox by emailing JCox@sec.gov.fk or by calling: +500 27230.
Applications close at 18.00 UK time, Friday 10th September 2021.
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about applying, you can find contact details at the above link.