Deputy Harbour Master & Pilot (Designate)
- Post Date:12th November 2018
- Views 882
- Location Type Shortsea
Here at Associated British Ports we are currently recruiting for a Deputy Harbour Master & Pilot at our short sea ports of Ayr and Troon, being based in Troon. This an excellent opportunity to work alongside the current Deputy Master & Pilot and transition over time into their role.
The Port of Troon is based just 35 miles from Glasgow, on the Firth of Clyde. A variety of cargo is imported through the port including forest products and fresh produce, with around 150,000 tonnes of cargo going through the port each year along with a number of smaller cruise vessels.
This position will consist of two main responsibilities. The first is that of Deputy Harbour Master, working with the Harbour Master to fulfil functions for all Statutory and Competent Harbour Authority responsibilities, along with HSE, security and associated elements. The second part of this role involves providing pilotage duties for the safe and efficient conduct of navigation of vessels within the jurisdiction of Ayr and Troon.
Applicants should hold a valid seafarer’s qualification and possess relevant ship handling experience. In return we offer a challenging and incredibly rewarding career with a comprehensive training programme and structured progression.
We reward our employees and offer a competitive remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
- To work in compliance with both ABP Health and Safety policies and other published safe systems of work and to report unsafe practices to the Harbour Master. Responsible for own health and safety, as well as that of other staff members.
- Assist the Harbour Master with the ongoing management, development and training of the marine team, ensuring jobholders have sufficient knowledge to be able to operate independently on a day-to-day basis.
- Manage the marine department’s resources to ensure the operations and development of efficient, safe and cost effective marine working practices and services
- To assist the Harbour Master in the implementation of the Port of Ayr and Troon Marine Safety Management System in accordance with the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code.
- Assist with the maintenance, exercise and update of the Marine Operations Manual, MARNIS, Port & Marine Emergency Plan, Port waste management Plan, PFSP and Standing Instructions.
- Undertaking acts of Pilotage for the Ports of Ayr and Troon. Advise the Harbourmaster on pilotage matters when required.
- Undertaking occasional pilotage cover for other ABP Ports in the NW.
- Daily supervision of all operations at the Port of Troon to ensure safe and effective working.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required at Ayr & Troon.
Skills, experiences and qualifications
- Officer of the Watch qualification
- Previous marine management experience
- Leadership qualities to help drive the current team forward and develop them within their own areas, combined with previous people and team management skills.
- Demonstrate clear abilities to influence people at all levels, internal and external, through listening and adjusting communication style to meet the needs of the audience.
- Experience in Compliance Standards and implementation of relevant legislation updates.
- Port Surveying and dredging experience together with the use of Hydrographic and Digital Ground Modelling.
- Willingness to travel to other ABP port locations and business travel UK wide and overseas.
- Full UK car driving licence.
- Command experience
- UK Harbour Master Certificate or ability to study and undertake the learning.
- Experienced in working with marine data sets, computing systems or similar.
- Good experience in the use of Multibeam sonar data gathering and QC processes.