- Post Date:4th September 2020
- Views 506
- Vessel Type Specialist/otherLocation Type DeepseaSalary Starting salary from £24,823 per annum
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is currently looking for an Able Seaman. This is an exciting opportunity to work on-board a world-leading polar exploration and research vessel. The state-of-the-art on-board facilities and future-proof containerised laboratories on this world-leading science platform will offer new research opportunities for polar scientists.
The successful candidate will take part in supporting research cruises carrying out research programmes and transporting people and supplies to the BAS research stations in Antarctica.
• Safe handling and operation of all deck and scientific deck equipment.
• Safe handling of cargo and stores.
• Maintenance and cleanliness in the deck department.
• General seamanship duties.
• Seaman Grade 1 – AB’s Certificate issued by MCA
• Seafarer Medical Certificate (ENG1) without restrictions
• Navigational Watch Rating Certificate
• Four Elements of STCW basic training to STCW 2010, as amended (PST, FPFF, EFA & PSSR)
• Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (PSC&RB)
• Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
• To operate deck machinery as directed by a Deck Officer, CPO Deck (Bosun).
• To assist in safe rigging, deployment, recovery and stowage of scientific equipment.
• To assist with maintenance and cleanliness of the ship as directed.
• To undertake cargo operations as safe loading, stowage, lashing, discharge of cargo, scientific equipment and stores.
• Participate in the preparation, operation and maintenance of boats as required.
• To assist in mooring and anchoring duties as required.
• To stand Bridge/Deck watches and ship-keeping duties in port as directed.
• General seamanship duties as required.
• To undertake any other duties consistent with the key responsibilities and duties of the post, as directed by the Master.
Please quote reference for any queries: BAS 20/80
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 27th September 2020
Interviews are scheduled to be held on: w/c 5th October 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.