ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
Southampton is the UK's number one vehicle handling port, Europe's leading turnaround cruise port and the UK's most productive container port. Operated by DP World Southampton, the terminal is home to the new 500m deepwater quay SCT5, which was purpose built to handle the biggest ships in the world.
A major dredging programme ensures that 15.5m draft vessels - the biggest currently afloat - can access the port on most days of the year.
The port is less than two miles from the M27 and has direct rail links to the main railway network for both freight and passenger trains. The Port of Southampton is served by Southampton International Airport, while Gatwick and Heathrow airports are within easy reach.
The purpose of the role is the safe pilotage of vessels from the point of embarkation, to the point of disembarkation, within the Port of Southampton Competent Harbour Authority Area.
You will initially be a Trainee marine Pilot, undergoing a 13 week training programme before becoming a full Marine Pilot.
Please note that you will be expected to become Class 1 Restricted after 5 years of working with ABP as a Marine pilot.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of the Marine Safety Management Systems, emergency procedures / plans & operational procedures in use.
- Conduct vessels under compulsory Pilotage within ABP Southampton CHA areas of jurisdiction and conduct non-compulsory Pilotage vessels if services requested.
- Maintain and develop the required skills and knowledge (as detailed in the National Occupational Standards for Marine Pilots) for continued authorisation as a Marine Pilot, and undertake training as required.
- Maintain and develop a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of all navigational matters within the Pilotage area.
- Support the Harbour Master in communication to Port Officers, and other surrounding vessels.
- Develop and maintain a high level of competency in ship handling.
- Perform suitable bridge management duties in relation to statutory obligations.
- Prepare and submit Passage plans and Pilotage tickets as required.
- Prepare and submit incident/accident and other reports as required.
- Provide professional advise to the VTS and other relevant stakeholders on local navigational and other port marine issues when required.
Skills and Experience
- STCW II/2 Certificate of Competency – Master (unlimited)
- Relevant seagoing experience as Master, 1st Mate or Chief Officer
- Hold a valid ENG1, or be physically fit enough to be able to obtain this
- Geographical knowledge of the Port of Southampton
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.