Harbours and Marinas Manager
Based in Carrickfergus, in County Antrim, Northern Ireland and reporting to the Head of Leisure, Arts and Culture, the purpose of the role is to:
- ensure the safe, economic, efficient and effective operational management of the Council’s Harbours and Marinas function, in line with Council policies and procedures and best practice, to meet customer needs;
- contribute to the development of the Harbours and Marinas strategy and be responsible for its delivery, ongoing monitoring and review
- manage the performance of staff and overall service by setting objectives, in line with the Corporate Plan, the Service Business Plan and the Harbour and Marina strategy, which will deliver a high performing service and support the continual improvement of the service.
- Responsible for the safe and effective management, development and delivery of the following;
- Portglenone Marina
- Carnlough Harbour
- Glenarm Harbour
- Ballylumford Harbour
- Whitehead Boatyard
- Carrickfergus Harbour & Marina Complex
- All Council owned Slipways
- Ensure strict compliance with all relevant statutory requirements including the Port Marine Safety Code of Practice and relevant guidance.
- Contribute to the development of a strategic framework for the delivery of Harbour and Marina services across the Borough in line with Regional Strategies, the Mid and East Antrim Community Plan, Council’s Corporate Plan and other relevant Council strategies and plans.
- Lead on the review, development and improvement of Harbour and Marina services, responding to changes in customer needs and ensuring that the requirements and objectives of Council are met.
- Ensure effective planning is in place through clear service delivery plans and supported by robust performance management mechanisms.
- Develop and ensure the implementation, evaluation and review of operational policies and procedures for the Council’s Harbour and Marina Services.
- Prepare budget estimates for the annual rates review and ensure the safe and effective management of resources and budget to ensure costs are kept within service provision.
- Identify opportunities for external funding which supports corporate aims, objectives and priorities and continuously seek to increase income and reduce costs in line with agreed business plans and Council Business Improvement and Efficiency Strategy.
- Prepare and evaluate tender specification and contract documentation for the function in line with Council’s procurement procedure.
- Provide appropriate and timely advice and updates to the Head of Leisure, Arts and Culture, including the submission of reports and other documentation relating to Harbours and Marina policy and service delivery.
- Ensure continuous improvement in Harbours and Marinas through effective quality assurance and robust performance management.
- Responsibility for the establishment and development of effective partnerships and networks with appropriate public, private, voluntary sector, sports clubs, community groups and other Council services to explore opportunities and develop the coherent and efficient delivery of Harbour and Marina Services throughout the Borough.
- Take overall responsibility for the management of risk associated with service delivery including; Health & Safety, Safeguarding and other identified risk.
- Support the Head of Leisure, Arts and Culture with relevant Capital Development projects and programmes.
- Working in partnership with relevant Council Officers, establish appropriate marketing programmes and initiatives for the Harbours and Marinas facilities and services which aim to exploit commercial opportunities and raise the profile of the services on offer to the general public, including maximising tourism potential.
- Take overall responsibility for the effective management and resolution of stakeholder queries and complaints, formal Freedom of Information requests and other information requests.
- Attend the Council’s Maritime Board meetings as required.
Applicants must have a minimum of a degree qualification.
Be able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, that they have three years’ experience of working within a Harbour and/or Marina Management role to include:
- delivering successful outcomes including an increase in tourism numbers
- applying Harbours and Marinas legislation to ensure not only compliance but also best practice.
- developing and maintaining effective partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders to achieve positive outcomes for the organisation
- identifying and resolving complex service delivery issues and implementing improvements to services
- identifying and successfully achieving increased income and/or efficiencies
- effectively leading and motivating a team
Please note that for candidates who do not have a degree, consideration will be given to their application if they meet all other criteria and are able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, that they have five years’experience of all of the above.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office. (MS Word, Outlook and Excel in particular.)
- A full current driving licence valid in the UK and access to a vehicle OR if the candidate has a disability, (as set out in the Disability Discrimination Act 1995) have access to a form of transport that enables them to carry out the duties of the post.
Please note that applicants must apply via the official Council application form at the link below. CVs will not be accepted.