Technical Adviser - Marine
IMCA, the influential international trade association representing offshore, marine and underwater engineering companies, is seeking a Technical Adviser specialising in dynamic positioning (DP) to join its secretariat, supporting and implementing IMCA’s wide-ranging work programme.
This is an exceptional opportunity to play a leading role in the formulation of DP-related guidance within the oil & gas and renewables sectors, in addition to the production and dissemination of key learnings within our membership. It is ideally suited to an individual with a deeply held passion for their subject and the enthusiasm and assuredness to stimulate the IMCA members towards engagement and participation with IMCA marine work programmes.
The successful candidate will have advanced, current and in-depth knowledge of the technical aspects of DP systems, as utilised on vessels deployed in the offshore oil & gas and renewables sectors. Experience in the operational aspects of these DP systems, in addition to wide-ranging marine engineering track record, will be a distinct advantage.
Where the successful candidate’s home location precludes a daily commute to IMCA offices in central London, the opportunity may exist to work from your home, subject to satisfactory assessment of the environment in which work would be undertaken. In such circumstances, regular attendance at IMCA’s London office would be a requirement of the role.
- STCW Class 1 Chief Engineer III/2 certification or equivalent marine engineering qualification and associated experience
- Significant experience and knowledge of offshore operations.
- Required Skills
- Current and in-depth technical knowledge of DP systems, as utilised by complex offshore heavy-lift, pipelaying, construction, diving and other such vessels
- First class communication/presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Top level personal skills in presenting and promoting the work of IMCA
- Ability to work unsupervised or within a small team.
- Personal Attributes
The successful candidate will have the following personal qualities:
- Highly self-motivated and disciplined
- Structured and systematic approach to work tasks
- Skilled communicator – both verbally and in the written form
- Ability to stimulate and develop technical discussions.
Provision of subject matter expertise and in-depth technical support/guidance to IMCA’s Membership and other relevant parties on DP-related systems.
Key duties of the DP technical adviser will include:
- Provision of current technical advice, at an advanced level, to the IMCA Marine Division Management Committee (MDMC), IMCA workgroups and the wider IMCA membership
- Co-ordination of IMCA committees and workgroups
- Preparation of technical briefings on DP issues for the Chief Executive and Technical Director
- Preparation of new DP technical guidance documents and IMCA DP information notes
- Preparation of agendas and minutes for MDMC and IMCA Marine DP committee
- Preparation of technical presentations for IMCA regional meetings
- Preparation of technical programmes for IMCA marine and DP-related seminars
- Analysis of DP incidents and collation of periodic reports
- Delivery of IMCA marine and DP seminars, and preparation of seminar proceedings
- Responding to technical enquiries received by email and phone
- Liaising with third party organisations to represent IMCA and its members
- Review and revision of IMCA Marine and DP guidance documents, to ensure currency and accuracy of information, in areas of changing technology and operating priorities
- Monitoring regulatory and technical developments which may affect IMCA members
- Promoting the benefits of IMCA membership to target individuals and organisations
- Travelling nationally and internationally, as required, to present at relevant meetings and events.
The full job description and details on how to apply are available on the IMCA website.