Multi-Purpose Marine Operative
Reporting to the Principle Hydrographic Surveyor, the purpose of the role is to coordinate and assist in the provision and maintenance of Aids To Navigation within the Port of Southampton statutory harbour area, and to coxswain the survey vessel.
This is a flexible, multi-skilled role principally as a Conservancy Assistant but may include additional duties as a VTS Operator (including Data Centre), Berthing and crewing the Port’s Pilot/Patrol launches.
- Coordination of the maintenance and refurbishment of all ABP buoyage and other aids to navigations (AToN) with contributions to the annual preventative maintenance program to optimise AToN reliability and service.
- Assist in the on-board maintenance of AToNs and other duties using the Port Workboat as required.
- To monitor and report upon the performance of ABP and non-ABP AToNs and other conservancy issues within the harbour area, liaising with the correct authority to rectify the faults.
- Maintain records and submit reports on availability of local AToNs to the appropriate authorities.
- To undertake basic charting using GIS software to illustrate local AToN and private mooring allocation.
- Survey vessel boat handling as and when required within the Marine/ Hydrographic department on Protector, Sentinel or other ABP survey setup.
- To act in the capacity of Marine Officer in charge of ‘Sentinel’, on routine weekday and weekend patrols as appropriate.
- To assist the Principal Hydrographic Surveyor in the Harbour Works Consent process.
- To compile and maintain the recreational events diary and to act as the point of contact for recreational boat users;
- To undertake other related marine and hydrographic duties as directed by the Harbour Master or Principal Hydrographic Surveyor.
- Assisting the coxswain in operating and maintaining the ports Pilot/Patrol launches as required.
- Assisting the Berthing team with fender moves and additional duties as required.
- Practical skills especially in marine environment.
- Knowledge of different Aids To Navigation and mooring systems
- VHF Operator RYA or STCW qualification
- RYA Advanced (commercial endorsement) or Boat Master
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Good IT skills, including MS Office products
- Willingness to take responsibility for own actions.
- Ability to work as part of a small specialist team, flexible attitude.
- An appropriate qualification in a marine, engineering or related discipline would be desirable.
- V-103/1 vessel traffic services certification log.
- IOSH Cargo Handling in Ports (CHiP).
- Experience in the maintenance of buoys and other AToNs.
- Knowledge of the IALA guidelines and recommendations.
- Charting and mapping experience using GIS software.
- Willingness to take on new responsibilities over time.
To apply for this role:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please advise your manager and ask them to confirm in writing via email or counter-sign your application form. You can complete the application form and apply online by going to the ABP website careers page
When applying online, if you fail to upload your CV or application form this will result in your application being incomplete. For whatever reason if you aren’t able to upload your CV then please contact the ABP recruitment team for assistance.
If you don’t have access to the internet, then you will need to contact the ABP recruitment team on 0808 164 2227 who will provide you will the application form.