Working as part of a close-knit team, on a self-rostered, tidal basis, the successful candidate will pilot the wide variety of vessels visiting the port; liaising with ships’ masters, agents and stakeholders and programming commercial ship movements, whilst overseeing navigational safety. Applicants should hold a Masters or Chief Mates certificate of competency and a valid ENG 1 medical certificate and preferably have some experience of handling coastal vessels. A comprehensive training programme is in place.
Main duties, tasks and responsibilities:
- Carryout acts of pilotage.
- Plan and efficiently schedule commercial ship movements on the current and forthcoming tides.
- Oversee marine & navigational safety during the commercial tide.
- To attend Shoreham Harbour Radio to set the vessel movement board for the forthcoming tide.
- To deal with any Pilotage and other port matters arising.
- All Marine duties / tasks as directed by the Harbour Master.
- Main duties, tasks and responsibilities as Stand-by Pilot:
- To assist the Duty Pilot to meet the pilotage demands.
- Class 1 or 2 Master Mariners Certificate, or equivalent.
- Understand and safely demonstrate manoeuvring characteristics of the wide range of visiting vessels.
- Local knowledge of Shoreham Ports Pilotage Area and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Port Marine Safety Code.
- Proactively contribute to the development of departmental policy and procedures.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Sound judgement and effective decision making.
- Ability to manage risk and safety in marine operations.
- Ability to lead and act with authority when required.
- Ensuring compliance with all statutory duties as defined in the relevant legislation.
- Teamwork, including bridge teamwork with a wide variety of visiting ships’ masters.
What you’ll get from us:
- A competitive salary
- Exceptional defined benefit pension scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Funded training in a supportive environment
- Other wide ranging benefits
Please Note: Staff are subject to a full medical and drug and alcohol testing. All successful candidates must comply.
The closing date is the 18th August 2017, with interviews commencing 4th September 2017.
To apply please click on the 'apply' button below with your CV and covering letter.
To find out more about us please visit our website – www.shoreham-port.co.uk. For full details about this vacancy and a copy of the job description please visit www.shoreham-port.co.uk/jobs.