Pilotage Services Manager
- Contract Type
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
Southampton is the UK's number one vehicle handling port, Europe's leading turnaround cruise port and the UK's most productive container port. Operated by DP World Southampton, the terminal is home to the new 500m deepwater quay SCT5, which was purpose built to handle the biggest ships in the world.
The role will liaise with and be responsible to, the Harbour Master for the operational management of the Pilotage service within the limits of the Southampton Competent Harbour Authority area, including budget and operational processes and procedures, line management of 45 Pilots on a 24 hour working roster pattern, Pilot Launch crew and Pilot taxi drivers on a 12-hour roster pattern.
In delivering a pilotage service within Southampton, you will look to drive change, empower your teams and live a culture of continuous improvement in safety, quality, service and efficiency.
- Ensure that Southampton CHA Pilotage complies with the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code and promote continuous improvement. Provide pilotage advice & guidance to the Harbour Master to assist in the provision of safe and efficient Port Operations.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory requirements, Harbour Masters directions and ABPs rules relating to Pilots and all aspects of Pilotage.
- Deliver pilotage services across CHA Southampton that are flexible and appropriate to our business and customer requirement.
- Work closely with the Pilot Desk Operator to ensure good working practices and efficient allocation of Pilot Acts.
- Management of Pilots including the promotion of a team approach through staff engagement and continuous professional development.
- Manage all classes of PEC Holders, including close liaison with Agents and Ship owners.
- Management of the recruitment, training, development and authorisation of Southampton Pilots ensuring they have sufficient knowledge to be able to operate independently on a day to day basis.
- Enforce the Pilot agreed operational orders and follow up appropriately when these are not being completed.
- Management of the Pilot Launch crew, ensuring that communication is clear between launch and pilots, launch crew members are trained accordingly and working in a safe and efficient manner.
- Manage the Pilot drivers, ensuring that they work effectively to deliver the best service.
- Assist in the management of the budgetary performance of the pilotage service.
- Ensure close liaison with both internal and external stakeholders and undertake chair duties of regular committee meetings. Provide professional maritime advice to appropriate personnel on local navigational and other port issues when required.
- Maintain a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of all navigational matters within the pilotage area and report changes to the Harbour Master.
- Conduct appropriate incident investigation and ensure compliance with reporting requirements to the MAIB and MCA. Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the CHA Marine Safety management system and associated procedures and plans. Develop procedures and working systems relevant to Pilotage operations.
- Undertake risk assessments and safe systems of work accordingly.
- Work with management and business teams offering advice and input on pilotage and marine matters into new business projects across ABP Southampton.
- Take an active part in the Southampton on-call duty roster as Duty Harbour Master.
- Manage the provision of a safe and efficient pilotage service for all vessels requiring or directed to take a pilot within the port’s area of jurisdiction. Provide information on regulatory requirements to the Harbour Master as necessary, including applicable safety and environmental provisions.
- Carry out other appropriate pilotage duties including but not limited to passage plans, pilotage vouchers, reporting of vessel deficiencies in equipment or conduct as appropriate.
- Maintain a high level of competency in ship handling and assist in training of others as appropriate incorporating compliance with relevant legislation, codes, local Safety Management system & associated procedures.
- Maintain MARNIS system.
- Support the Harbour Master with recreational event planning, risk assessments and liaison with leisure activity companies and owners.
- Manage and maintain the portable pilot units.
- Manage and maintain the launch boat contract.
- Maintain an honest and close working relationship with the Southampton Pilot representatives to ensure good communication in line with ABP’s Values.
- Ensure compliance with ABP Policies and Procedures including disciplinary and absence management
- Any other duties compatible with Pilotage Operations/Service as required by the Harbour Master.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of Pilotage with class 2/1 certification (Master Unlimited)
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Experience in managing resources, preferably in a marine environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC), all relevant marine, harbour, H&S and environment legislation and its relevance to pilotage operations
- Ability to balance the demands of stakeholders with regards to safety and commercial awareness
- Flexible approach to service delivery and working hours, including a willingness to travel as required on ABP Southampton business
- Experience and knowledge of developing and maintaining Marine Safety systems and procedures.
- High degree of computer literacy skills
- Proven record of operational management in a marine environment.
- If an existing Pilot, we will consider supporting you to maintain authorisation as a Southampton Pilot.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.