SEO Examiner of Master & Mates
Are you looking for a new challenge? Would you like to be part of a team that oversees the training and certification of seafarers? If so we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for an Examiner of Masters and Mates, based in our Directorate of UK Ship Register (DUKSR).
You will support the Chief Examiner in ensuring that the provisions of STCW78 as amended, STCE-F, relevant codes of Practice and EC directives on the training and certification of seafarers are correctly implemented and applied. In accordance with MCA Business Plan develop and implement standards of training and certification in accordance with international conventions and national requirements. Your role will be to consult and collaborate with the Merchant Navy Training Board, social partners, nautical colleges and other training establishments in the UK and abroad. You will be required to assess applications for Safe Manning Documents and issue same. Furthermore you will carry out oral examinations in seamanship and navigation as required.
Your responsibilities will include;
- Supporting the Chief Examiner in solving more complex problems in relation to seafarer documentation and certification
- Issuing Safe Manning Documents and Exemptions for UK vessels
- Evaluating proposals for training courses presented to the MCA for approval
- Conducting oral examinations
- Dealing with cases of irregularities in examinations and liaise with the MCA enforcement unit when necessary;
- Providing guidance to seafarers, industry and Marine Offices on seafarer training and certification;
- Moderating examination papers for Deck examinations for the Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleets, the Large Yacht industry and Boat Masters Licences
- Preparing briefing papers for IMO, ILO and EU meetings as directed by the Chief Examiner
This is a specialist technical role. The stated qualification need to be supported by `sufficient experience' in a managerial role on board ship or in a technical capacity of responsibility within the maritime industry.
For a more detailed insight into what else an Examiner of Masters and Mates does please read the attached role profile for more information.
You will be computer literate and familiar in the use of MCA IT office software (Microsoft Office).
You will be required to travel within the UK and short term visits overseas and offshore, so you will need to have a valid passport and a full driving licence valid for driving within the UK.