Marine Pilot Apprentice
Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location: This apprenticeship will start in the Humber. The first 50% of the training will be completed on the Humber before the apprentice returns to South Wales.
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
As a Marine Pilot Apprentice you will learn all the role and responsibility of an Authorised Marine Pilot. A Marine Pilot has responsibility for the safe navigational conduct of a vessel throughout its passage from sea to berth or berth to sea. They also have a statutory duty to report any defects or deficiencies on the piloted vessel. A Marine Pilot will work closely with the Captain and other members of the crew, who may be of any nationality. They must also be able to use the vessels navigational and communications equipment, liaising with other vessels and the harbour marine control centre. Before boarding a vessel, a Marine Pilot is required to prepare a passage plan for the voyage from sea to berth or berth to sea. This will take into account the size, draft and operating characteristics of the vessel as well as tides, the marine environment and the weather and give consideration to any need for tugs to assist the manoeuvring.
The Marine Pilot must be able to respond to emergency situations. They must know and adhere to safe navigational, vessel handling and environmental working practices and international regulations without endangering themselves, the vessel, its crew or the marine environment. A Marine Pilot must be able to climb/descend a vertical rope ladder from/to a launch holding position alongside a moving vessel, often in rough weather. They must be able to use survival techniques in water.
A Marine Pilot typically works shifts to ensure they take regulated rest hours. They must have local knowledge of the waters, navigation and environment in which they will carry out acts of pilotage.
This is an apprenticeship and on successful completion the apprentice will need to apply for a full time Pilots position within ABP. Further local training maybe required. Relocation may also be required.
Please note that this apprenticeship will last up to 3 years.
- Complete the Marine Pilot Apprenticeship Scheme and strive to achieve the best results in all they do
- Complete to a high standard as defined by ABP a Diploma in Pilotage
- Complete and achieve a high standard as set out by ABP all Simulator course required by Marine Pilot Apprenticeship Scheme
- Maintain a positive attitude and approach to their work even when priorities and working patterns change
- Take responsibility for own and others’ health, safety and security at all times
- Demonstrate integrity, credibility, honesty and personal drive; embody the organisation’s values, a belief in the services it offers and an interest in the industry
- Take ownership for own performance and training
- OOW unlimited with 12 months sea time
- In date ENG1
- The successful applicants will:
- Have excellent communication skills and lots of enthusiasm
- Be self-reliant, self-motivated, and responsible and be able to demonstrate pride and effort in anything you undertake
- Be a flexible team player able to follow instructions and carry them out safely
- Be committed to achieving excellent results, including during periods at college and on-board ships
- Have good awareness of Health, Safety and Environmental issues
- Background of working within a team environment
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.