Deputy Harbour Master
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
The ABP Short Sea business comprises four regions and eleven ports located on the South, East and West coasts of the United Kingdom, handling around 5 million tonnes every year. The geographical spread ensures that we operate within the context of both regional & national markets, offering a unique mix of facilities.
The Port of Ipswich, situated at the head of the River Orwell and 12 miles from the open sea, is within a short sailing time from the North Sea shipping lanes.
We are looking for a Deputy Harbour Master to join our team in Ipswich, covering Statutory Duties in absence of the Harbour Master, to facilitate the safe navigation of the River Orwell and the Port of Ipswich.
The role will primarily be that of a Watchkeeper with the added responsibility to cover for the Harbour Master as required by the business.
- Arrange pilotage and towage as instructed by agents. Work out the tides to give best possible sailing times and maximum drafts. Implement Ipswich towage rules
- Arrange mooring services, knowledge of bollard numbers
- Arrange fresh water, keep records on computer
- First response for all emergencies. Good knowledge of Port Emergency and Major Incident Plan, pollution, river incidents, MSMS and port waste management plan
- Liaise with customers, Border Agency, Police, MCA and other authorities
- Liaise with operations and berthing office, keep board and models on chart board up to date
- Implement River and Bye-Laws and standing orders, maintain the 90-metre rule
- Arrange traffic flow in river with Harwich VTS to ensure Ipswich bound vessels are on time for start of work
- Use and monitor river AIS and cameras, maintain traffic log, and PAVIS
- Complete required paperwork for ISPS/Waste Declaration/Crew Lists including distribution of Port Safety Notice
- Issue Permit & Permissions to dive and hot work Permissions
- Complete incident forms. Pro-actively raise safety issues
- Comply with ABP Health & Safety Policy
- Maintain continuous VHF watch on VHF 68 & 71. Implement Flood Warnings
- Implement and Coordinate Marine Department Actions as per Flood Contingency Plan 2016
- Liaise with pilots re berthing, tides and weather and other Traffic
- Provide inshore weather forecasts when requested by vessels
- Offer advice, for vessels sailing or shifting within the Port
- Liaise with vessels re: air draft and give them a window of opportunity
- Advise any abnormalities in the channel or buoy defects
- Monitor Port security cameras as and when required, deal with visitors. Liaise with Port Security
- Attend to the lockgates on a level if the FAL Operative is detained
- Supervise FAL Lock Operators during Night Watch
- Complete MarNIS reports as required
- Maintain ‘Tugs used’ spreadsheet.
- Assist Harbour Master as required
- Log Book Entries – to include Adverse Weather, Pilotage Suspension, Vessel Anchoring & Bunkering Operations
- Deputy Harbour Master covering Statutory Duties and attending meetings in the absence of Harbour Master
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Master Mariner (Foreign Going) Class 1 or Royal Navy equivalent
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.